Craving a hot chocolate, but the Summer heat waves just aren't allowing it? I got you covered with an easy cocoa milkshake recipe, perfect for a hot day. This rich chocolate milkshake comes together wonderfully with only three ingredients; cocoa powder, whole milk and ice cream. Dust off your blender. We got chocolate shakes to make!
Not that long ago, I posted a coconut shake recipe consisting of light and luscious flavors. Though, the coconut shake is absolutely delicious, I couldn't leave all of my chocolate lovers hanging. Cocoa milkshakes are just as easy to make, but leaves you with all the comforting hot cocoa vibes meant for warmer weather.
Pull out your blender, ice cream scooper and measuring cup to prepare the milkshake. Have a tall glass or milkshake glass ready to pour the shake into.
Don't you just love a warm weather treat that calls for minimal ingredients!
- Ice Cream: Today, I went with vanilla ice cream to make my cocoa milkshake. But honestly, depending on how chocolatey you want your shake to be, you could also use chocolate ice cream to crank up those rich notes. The ice cream is the main ingredient in the shake. For best taste, purchase a quality ice cream that avoids artificial flavors.
- Milk: Use whatever type of milk you have on hand or what fits your preference. The milk is used to thin out the ice cream to obtain the smooth milkshake texture. Whole milk substitutes such as coconut milk, almond milk or soy milk will slightly alter the shake flavor. For a more milkshake traditional flavor, whole milk will be your best option.
- Cocoa Powder: My go-to brand is Hersey's Cocoa. It is 100% cocoa, natural unsweetened, and readily available in grocery stores. On its own, it tastes bitter, but develops a deep chocolate flavor when used in recipes.
- Toppings: Toppings always makes a milkshake a little more special and fun. Finish the shake off with some whipped cream, chocolate syrup or chopped nuts if you like.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Add the Ingredients: Add the ice cream, milk and cocoa powder to a blender.
- Blend the Shake: Place the lid on the blender and blend until a smooth consistency is formed, around 15-30 seconds. If the consistency is too thick, add a bit of additional milk and blend again, repeat until your desired shake thickness is met.
- Serve and Enjoy: Pour the shake into a tall glass or milkshake glass. Add toppings as desired. Enjoy!
Make it vegan and dairy-free: Not everyone can tolerate dairy. A great way to make the shake vegan and dairy-free is by replacing the ice cream with frozen banana slices or a coconut based ice-cream, and using a whole milk alternate such as coconut milk. Though, the overall texture will be similar to a traditional milk shake, the final flavor will be a little different. But still delicious, of course!
Cocoa Milkshake Recipe
- 1 Blender
- 1 measuring spoon and measuring cup
- 1 tall glass or milkshake glass
- 2 cups ice cream (vanilla or chocolate flavor)
- ½-1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- chopped peanuts
- Add the ice cream, milk and cocoa powder into a blender. Place the lid on the blender and blend until a smooth consistency is formed, around 15-30 seconds. If the consistency is too thick, add a bit of additional milk and blend again, repeat until your desired shake thickness is met.
- Pour the shake into a tall glass or milkshake glass. Add toppings as desired and enjoy!
Did you enjoy this cocoa milkshake recipe? Your feedback in the comments takes just a minute to contribute and helps other brunchers find their next favorite recipe! Thank you for your time in trying out a new recipe and sharing your thoughts. For more recipes, visit the Brunch Recipes tab.
Tag your dish on Instagram @thebookishbruncher so I can be sure to see what you’ve cooked up!